Monday, June 8, 2009

Don't Mess With The Dress

Ahhh. Finding the perfect wedding dress. Not something I was dying to do. Because I competed in pageants over the years, I found myself less excited about trying on fancy gowns than expected. However, my mom and my aunt were extremely excited, and I didn't want to let them down.

We started at David's Bridal. I won't say much else about that experience other than a bridezilla actually pushed me out of the way to get a better glimpse of herself in the mirror. It was a frightening free-for-all, and not at all my style. I ended up buying some wedge shoes there in case I got married in the sand.

My next stop was Sophia's. Nice store, nice selection, nice people. I tried a dress on that I liked well enough to purchase. I wasn't ready to put the deposit down, and it's a good thing I didn't. A few days later my mom broke down into tears because we hadn't spent enough time shopping around for a dress. This was something she had been dreaming of since I was a little girl. I was so blah about grabbing a dress she felt she'd really been robbed of that magical movie moment where when you find THE DRESS: everyone smiles, cries, violins play. I'm not a violins kind of girl, but I love my mother and I reluctantly agreed to take one more Saturday to shop around.

So that brings me to the day I found the perfect dress. (See? Mothers really do know best!) I went to Demetrios, a store that also provided great service. They suggested I look at collections on their website before my appointment, and bring in the style numbers of gowns I wanted to try on in person. I did, and fell in love with the second one I tried on. It was form-fitting, flattering and a lovely chanpagne color that made it really unique. The 6'4" model made it look Hollywood-chic...

I made it look okay with the curvy 5'5" frame I've been blessed (cursed?) with.


So overall, finding a wedding dress was pretty simple. I know a lot of brides really fret about it. I wish you luck, and remember to listen to your mother every now and then. Till next time...

2 comments:

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

You were very gorgeous in that dress. And after my wedding, i'll invite you to my "wear your wedding dress after your wedding party" so you can really get full use of the dress :)

PS. No i'm not crazy...
RelentlessBride

Krista said...

you looked amazing!
congratulations on finding the dress and making your mother happy!